Sunday, August 28, 2011

Leroy

Last night was one of the toughest night of my life. Yesterday around 11:30 P.M. I said goodbye to my cat Leroy.

Leroy was only one year old and his passing was completely unexpected. He had developed a blood clot in his artery that sent blood to his legs. The clot was caused by some kind of heart disease. The vet informed me that they could try to treat it and he could possibly regain the use of his legs, however there was no guarantee, the disease would always be with him and it was likely that he would develop re-occurring clots in his legs, lungs, brain, or heart. Unable to let Leroy suffer the rest of his life, my only option was to put him to sleep. It was one of the hardest things I had to do.

For those of you who didn't get the chance to know Leroy or our relationship, he was a very special cat. Before I met Leroy he didn't have a great life. He was adopted as a kitten by another family. He developed a serious upper respiratory infection while with them. Instead of taking him to the vet to treat it, this family let it get worse. When it got bad enough they just dropped him off at the APL. At the APL they treated the infection, however he lost his right eye in the process. Shortly after he was better, I adopted him.

I tried to give Leroy the best possible life he could have. He was like a child to me. Anyone who has seen us together knows that. When I was home, he was always nearby me. Every morning once he heard me wake up he's come running into my room, jump on my bed and cuddle with me. Every time I walked in the door he'd run up to greet me. Every time I ate dinner he was always stiffing what I was eating (and sometimes trying to take a bite himself). He was my co-pilot on my trip out to Montana. He was there for me at a time in my life when I felt confused and lonely. Even though he had one eye, he could always see what was bothering me. He was truly a perfect match for me. It kills me that I didn't even get to spend a whole year with my buddy.

I know I did what was best for him, but it still hurts. I wasn't ready for this day.

Leroy, I loved you buddy. You were the best cat, you just didn't have the best health. You were a tough, strong kitty and you set an example to me of how to be the same. You helped me in ways you'll never know and I feel lucky to have had such a loyal companion even if it was only for 10 months. I'm going to miss you Leroy.

This poem is called the Rainbow Bridge and I'm sure many of you that have lost pets have read this...

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.



Love,
Becky




No comments:

Post a Comment