Friday, July 22, 2011

Tom

So last night we went out in Helena again and met this major in the army named Tom. Can I just say this guy totally shattered my perceptions of some people in the military.

Here's a little backround on Tom. He was from a farm in West Virginia. Right out of high school he went into the military. He toured Iraq twice. And he was in Montana working on an investigation.

So Tom and I got talking which led into talking politics. I found out that Tom is a democrat, voted for Obama, supports gay rights and the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell. So contrary to popular believe not all military men are super conservative.

What I found really sweet about Tom (besides for buying all my drinks) was the fact that multiple times he thanked me for serving in AmeriCorps which I thought was silly. Yes I'm volunteering to make the country better, but what I'm doing is so minimal to what he's done.

I'm so glad I met Tom last night. He was a great guy and American.

Love,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment