Friday, November 11, 2011

My New Hobby

Went indoor climbing for the first time last night. My "roommates" aka the boys that live above me are avid climbers and they promised they would get me climbing too. We went to Spire, a super awesome climbing gym in Bozeman. One thing I didn't realize was how big of a climbing scene Montana has, Bozeman especially. I guess it does make sense though when you think about it.

Montana=Tons of Mountains=Good Climbing.

Anyways. My roommates Christian and Trevor (who are pretty stellar climbers themselves) showed me the ropes (literally and figuratively). What I've learned about climbing is there are scales to rate climbs. In the most basic terms, climbs are rated on a 5.0-5.15 scale. 5.0 being no climb at all really to 5.15 which only a hand full of people in the world can do. If you're pretty athletic you can usually start at a 5.6 if you've never climbed before.

I started at a 5.6 and climbed it with no problem. So I moved onto a 5.7, a little tougher but I reached the top fairly easily. Finally on my last climb I tried a 5.8. I got about halfway up and couldn't go any further. I blame part of my failure on just being tired from my other climbs. Climbing requires a ridiculous amount of forearm strength, which I don't have right now. Even after my first climb of the night my forearms felt like rocks. So by my last climb they were hurting a little.

I'm so happy Christian and Trevor introduced me to climbing. I think I might be hooked. Being a fairly competitive person I like climbing because you can always competing within yourself to do a tougher and tougher climb.

Can't wait to get back to the gym to tackle that 5.8 climb I didn't finish.

Now it's off to Missoula for the Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings concert. I've been waiting to see them forever so I'm super pumped!

Love,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment