Monday, September 26, 2011

Trusty Rusty

Hola Amigos!

I need to write about my awesome Montana outdoor adventure weekend. Honestly I think it was one of the best weekends I've had thus far.

Let's start with Friday. After volleyball practice my coaching friend Lori and I went to dinner. She had a gift card to the Rib & Chop House which is hands down the best place to eat in Livingston. I got a margarita and ahi tuna....two of my absolute favorite things. Delicious! I went to bed happy as a clam that night.

After sleeping on Saturday I woke up with a small dilemma on what to do that day. Yellowstone had a free entrance fee AND I had a free ticket to the Museum of the Rockies.....decisions, decisions. Well I ended up not going to either. Inside I took a hike up to Pike Creek Falls which is located about 10 miles south of downtown Livingston. There's just something about walking alone in the woods that is so peaceful and liberating and just real to me. I love it. After about a mile hike I reached the falls. They were a little weak, but that's expected for this time of year. I even took a little risk and climbed straight up the falls to the very top. I'm glad I did. Here's a few pictures from my hike:









After my hike I returned to my car and my phone with a voicemail from Lori. She and her husband were going to dinner at here mother and father in law's ranch and I was invited to come. Free dinner? As a poor AmeriCorps VISTA I never turn that down. After dinner at Lori's in laws we did a little four wheeling on the property they own. We went to look for some wildlife, unfortunately all we saw was deer. Boo....deer don't impress me, there's enough of them in Ohio. I was ready to see a moose or a bear (in reasonable distance). Oh well!


Here's me and Lori's dog Maggie on the trail!

I concluded my busy Saturday by going to see my friend Wes and his band play in Bozeman. The show was in this super cool venue in the basement of a warehouse. It has tons of abstract artwork over the walls as well as many abstract people. I loved it. Words can't really describe the place, unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, sorry.

On to Sunday.....

Again I slept in, a luxury I always take advantage of. Around 1:00 I went with Lori to her parent's house to make and can salsa(Dad- don't worry the salsa we made still doesn't top yours). It was at Lori's mom and dad's house that I did the inevitable. I ate meat! Not any kind of meat though. I had moose salami! I figured moose was a pretty ballin' to transition back to my omnivorous ways. If you don't believe me here's picture proof:



Some pieces of moose salami and several jars of salsa later I returned home just in time to meet Wes for some horseback riding on the ranch his dad works at. I wasn't sure what I was in store for, but let me just say I went on an epic Montana horseback ride. My horse was Rusty, who I would like to deem Trusty Rusty. Here's my man:



Rusty took good care of me. We even did some trotting and loping which is still a little scary to me, but everything was good with the Rust-man. This is us after we did some climbing to the top of a mountain.



There's one last thing I want to mention. Besides for the sheer awesomeness of just being on a horse, the views of the ranch and the mountains were breathtaking. The whole experience was such an authentic way to take in some of the most beautiful sights of Montana. I don't know if I'll ever forget it.

On that note, I need to do some laundry badly. Hope you enjoyed reading about my weekend as much as I did living it.

Love,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment